March 10, 2010

Photos: Skopje, Macedonia

Picture 1: A view from the castle grounds. The visibility was amazing and the valley that Skopje is nestled in made me think of Middle Earth. I’m not sorry that makes me out to be a nerd but its the best way to convey the way I felt.








Picture 2: Another view via a great hole in the outer wall. I think that yellow building was some sort of museum, but unfortunately I can’t confirm that.








Picture 3: This stone bridge is over 300 years old. This is where we were when the gypsy kids accosted poor Jeff. While exploring down along the river, Jeff and Rachel spotted the bronze statues of divers. If you look, you can see a pair of feet in front of the other diver. Sometimes the river covered them up and it took us about 10 minutes to see them.








Picture 4: An interesting statue near the stone bridge. Something I would notice later in Budapest as well is the tendency for statues in the area to come off the pedestal. Most statues I’ve ever seen are confined to the base they are placed on. This particular one is of a human form with its arms becoming branches and one leg becoming a root that encircled the pedestal. Very interesting.












Picture 5: Rakija from the Rakija bar we discovered nearly by accident. Good stuff. Nice people.

No comments: